This stately home was built by Home Jeweler Jacob Skillman and his wife Sidney in 1870, having bought the property from Mary Redfield and Mary Ely in 1868.
Like many of the neighborhood homes, by the 1960s and early 70s the house had fallen into disrepair. It was purchased and rehabilitated by Joseph Bellanca around 1977. The house was completely gutted and extensively remodeled inside. The original outside walls and facade were the only parts that were preserved. The result was a striking home which is a study in openness.
Mr. Bellanca removed the ceiling in the original dining room to create a dramatic two-story dining atrium. The dining room has decorative wood paneling that was originally from an East Avenue mansion. The two upstairs bedrooms have balconies overlooking the dining room.
At that same time tin ceilings were added to the powder room and kitchen. Cedar walls were also added in the kitchen. Exposed brick was dramatically positioned throughout the house. The main house has two working fireplaces, one with a marble mantle and hearth. A solarium was recently completed off the kitchen and provides a light and airy additional living space overlooking the gardens.
The current resident is a newcomer to Corn Hill, having formerly lived for many years on Strathallan Park. He has particularly enjoyed the dining area and open floor plan for entertaining.
He and his family and friends are looking forward to transforming this gracious home into a spectacular example of holiday wonder. They look forward to seeing you on the tour!