A Greek Revival house, the Shaw House has survived with much of its original exterior fabric intact. Built in 1837 by wealthy St. Louis fur trader Henry Shaw for his parents, it was then occupied by General Harrison Fairchild from 1893 – 1898. George Decker then purchased the home and began a 14-year renovation during which the carriage house was added. A second major renovation took place in the 1970’s when George Reir moved in and replaced all the plumbing, electrical, and heating, and installed the in-ground pool. A third restoration began in 1991 by a local design firm that specialized in the residential restoration of landmark homes. All of the period molding, fixtures, and original finishes were restored with great care taken to make replacement as close to the original as possible. Pocket doors were added between the living room and hall.
The current owners have lived in Corn Hill for 3 years. They were attracted to this urban area with a proximity to restaurants, theaters, and sporting venues, but which also had a strong Neighborhood Association providing opportunities for community involvement.
A special characteristic of the home includes the original beams and open hearth fire place in the kitchen. A more personal touch is the artwork in the living room created by a great uncle and grandfather.