Pre-tour Gathering Spot and Check-in
441 Frederick Douglass St, Rochester, NY 14608 – view map
Irish Immigrants founded the Church in 1847, with the first structure erected in 1849. That building destroyed by fire was rebuilt in
The significant windows on the sides of the Church were from the Tyrolese Glass Art Studio in Austria, installed in 1899. In the 1950s, Pike-Stained Glass Studio created the rose-colored windows at the main entrance.
In 1962, lightning struck the 98-year-old steeple on the Church, making it structurally unsound, and removed. During the 1960s, the Church and pastor were a focal point for anti-war and peaceful protest. Sunday was a gathering spot for thousands.
In 2010 St. Bridget’s and Immaculate Conception Parishes became one worship site. “We are a faith-based Catholic community grounded in the African-American tradition.” All are welcome to join the 10:00 am Sunday worship.