The Tysean Williams Memorial Scholarship is offered by Philanthropy Committee of the Corn Hill Neighbors Association. Tysean was a 13-year-old resident of Corn Hill who was murdered defending his grandmother from a home invasion. The scholarship is open to seniors graduating from Rochester City School District High Schools, who are continuing their education at post-secondary program (two or four year college, vocational or technical school.
PURPOSE OF THIS SCHOLARSHIP: To provide financial assistance to a graduating high school senior who lives within the City of Rochester.
- Applicant must be a High School Senior in the Rochester City School District.
- Applicant must be a City of Rochester resident.
- Applicant must have a G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher.
- Applicant must be accepted into a post-secondary program (two or four year college, vocational or technical school, full or part time). Scholarship funds will be distributed upon confirmation of enrollment in a post-secondary program.
- Applicant needs documentation from their school and all high schools have received notice of the Scholarship.
Essay Question: Please write an essay of 250 to 500 words, typed, describing what you see as the systemic causes of violence in your world, and within yourself. Applicant agrees to permit publication of his/her winning essay in the Corn Hill Gazette.
Applicants: please carefully review and complete the information on this application. Attach your essay, your sealed official transcript, two sealed letters of reference, and a copy of any acceptance letters from your post-secondary schools.
Applications must submitted by April 15, 2022.Download Application
Applications may be submitted electronically to [email protected] or mailed to:
Corn Hill Neighbors Association
Tysean Williams Memorial Scholarship
133 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608